Shimla – the summer refuge
Popular for being the summer capital during the reign of the British in India, the city of Shimla is popular till date, as the capital city of Himachal Pradesh as well as one of the most visited tourist destinations in India. Nestled in the laps of the great Himalayas, Shimla is an all time favorite of the Indian tourists and also caters to the desires of the international tourists who flock to the city to admire the neo-Gothic and Tudorbethan architectures that dot the city, the vibrant market places and most importantly, the splendid view of the 7 hills on which the city has been built up.
Best time to visit
A vacation in Shimla can be planned at any time of the year owing to the subtropical highland climate that the region experiences. Most tourists visit Shimla during the summer months (March to June) to escape the scorching heat of the sun that burns the rest of the country. Visitors can enjoy a pleasant, cool climate during this time.
The months of July to September mark the rainy season in Shimla and nature is in its full bloom during the season. However, landslides may cause a problem to the visitors.
For people who like adventure sports and trekking, the winter months (October to February) are the best.
Things to do
- For people who love shopping, Shimla is a treasure chest. The numerous shopping areas of the city like Lakkar Bazaar, Tibetan Bazaar, the Mall and the Lower Bazaar are known for a variety of goods like wood, handicrafts, shawls, wooden toys, Tibetan carpets and much more.
- Tourists can take part in the ‘Heritage Walk’ that starts off from the Scandal Point and the Viceregal Lodge or other walking tours that are conducted from various vantage points of the city.
- Visit the Himachal Emporium that has a vast collection of local handicrafts.
- Let your eyes soothe and your soul relax at the scenic forest area of Glen.
For those who are looking to taste authentic Himachali delicacies, the restaurants in Shimla and the street food vendors are the places to go looking for. While most restaurants serve Italian, North Indian and the likes, yet there are quite a few places (like the Oberoi hotels) that serve authentic Himachali foods like Khoru, Patore, cha ghosht, murgh anardana, khus sidoos, Himachali dal channa and much more. Moreover, the street vendors provide tangy and tasty snacks that you can enjoy any time.
- For those with a knack for adventure sports, Shimla offers a number of opportunities such as several ski resorts that are built in the region.
- River rafting on the Sutlej is also an important activity for adventure lovers.
- Mountain biking and golfing are other popular activities in the region.
- Birders can enjoy their time at the Himalayan Bird Park.
- Join the Soul Mountain Expedition to explore the Lahaul-Spiti areas.
- Take part in the Himalayan Heritage guide day tour that takes you through a number of heritage buildings across the city.
- Since Shimla has a cool to cold weather throughout the year, it is necessary to carry woolens. Light woolens for summers and heavy woolens plus socks, socks, gloves, caps, etc. for the winters.
- Always keep your basic medications close by. If you have chronic problems like asthma, be sure to carry medications for the same.
- Carrying an umbrella is also suggested.
- Carry dry food times like chocolates, dry fruits, milk powder, etc.
- A good camera for those who are keen on photography.
How to reach
Shimla has its own domestic airport that is frequented by flights from Delhi and Kullu. The airport is located at a distance of about 23 Km from the main city.
Shimla is well connected to the major surrounding cities like Kullu, Chandigarh, Delhi, Agra, Dharamshala, Chambe, Srinagar, etc. and the journeys can be completed in 2-12 hours.
The nearest Meter Gauge rail link is at Kalka which is about 96 Kms from Shimla. From Kalka, tourists can opt for the Kalka – Shimla trains that take about 6 hours to reach Shimla. Kalka is connected to several major Indian cities via rail.
1. Ice Skating Carnival
The snowfall that Shimla receives during the winters make it the ideal spot for tourists to enjoy various snow activities like ice skating, skiing, snow ball throwing and the likes at the Ice Skating Carnival that is organized by the Ice-Skating Club of Shimla.
2. Mall Road Shimla
To delve into the colonial history of the region, there can be no place better than the Mall road that is lined with numerous British period buildings and structures and also serves as one of the most important commercial sites in the region.
Located 68 Km from the city of Shimla, Kasauli is a hill station known for its impressive Himalayan floral and plant life. Kasauli is also an ideal destination for trekkers.
4. Golfing in Shimla
Being the summer capital during the British rule, Shimla is the home to several popular golf courses, the most important of them being Naldehra and Annadale. It is one of the most popular tourist activities in the region.
The lofty Himalayan ranges provide ample opportunities for the tourists to take part in some impressive mountaineering expeditions. Moreover, the diverse flora and fauna, the snow capped peaks, lush landscapes and the likes make this region a mountaineer’s dream come true.
6. Skiing in Shimla
Shimla and its surrounding areas are quite famous as skiing grounds and both international and national tourists flock here to take part in skiing games.
A small getaway from Shimla, Kufri is ideal for those who want to break away from the crowded, touristy city of Shimla.
8. Trekking in Shimla
The trekking trails in Shimla are quite renowned and tourists can participate in trekking expeditions that are conducted by the local authorities who supply the needful accessories and gears.
Hotels In Shimla
|1||Radisson Hotel Shimla|
|2||Wildflower Hall Shimla|
|3||The Oberoi Cecil|
|5||Woodsmoke Resort and Spa|
|7||Bridge View Regency|
|8||Hotel Willow Banks|
Travelfuntoosh Holiday Packages
- Shimla, Manali, Dharamsala & Dalhousie Holiday Package For 09Days
||Sightseeing included||meal included||transfer included|
- Shimla & Chandigarh Holiday Package For 04 Days
||Sightseeing included||meal included||transfer included|
Email us now even if you have just thought of planning a holiday and leave rest on us to give your imagination a shape and take it forward from there.
Enquiry FormTag: shimla holiday package,shimla holiday package for couple,shimla tour plan,shimla tour guide,shimla tourism,shimla tour review,shimla tour package,shimla vacation packages,trip to shimla,shimla holiday,summer vacation in shimla,hotels in shimla,shimla holiday destination, Comments System WIDGET PACK
India Tourism Destinations:
The list of link building products and prices currently offerd at LinkMarket.Net.