Leh - Ladakh
Why Leh and Ladakh?
Do you feel the call of nature each day of your life? Do you explore the cold, snowy beauty of the Himalayan ranges? Well, leave behind the over-crowded, touristy spots that are spread all over Northern and North-Western India and head to the land of ethereal beauty – Leh and Ladakh. While the quite popular tourist destination of Kashmir has become quite crowded over the years, Ladakh has been able to maintain its calm, serene nature; totally virgin and the peaceful lands welcoming tourists – both Indian and international - for an experience of a life time.
Best time to visit
While Leh and Ladakh can be visited all the year round, yet it would be most ideal
to take a trip to Leh-Ladakh during the months of June to September as the summer
is in its full bloom during this time, giving the visitors opportunities to enjoy
panoramic vistas of the mountains in the warm climate. The temperature during this
time ranges between 20° C - 30°C and is ideal for most visitors. Moreover,
the Hemis Festival that is an important attraction of the region is held during
For amateur to occasional trekkers, the months of July and August are most important as it offers ideal environments for enjoying trekking. However, for those who pros at trekking and want to have one of the most adventurous treks of their life, the months December to February opens up totally new opportunities. The famous Chadar trek opens up during the winters and gives the tourists the unparalleled experience of trekking across the beautiful, frozen Zanskar river.
Things to do
Each place has its own treasure house and to discover and unravel the treasures is the most important objective of every traveler. Below given are a list of must do things while in Leh-Ladakh:
- The view of the sunrise from the cover of the mountains in Pangong Tso is a must try.
- Let the beautiful reflections of the great Himalayas on the ethereal blue waters fill up your mind.
- See the river confluences, especially of the Zanskar and Indus.
- Lose yourself in the panoramic, crystal clear views of the moon at night.
- If you believe in luck, try out stacking stones and building cairns.
- Spend some time with the locals and get to know more about the local culture, foods, beliefs, customs, etc.
- Feel proud at the view of the Indian flag, hoisted in all its glory against a beautiful backdrop.
- Spin the Buddhist prayer wheels and pray in peace.
- There are several open monasteries and if you want to unwind your soul, just meditate in the open air.
- If you are interested, you can listen to the folklore from the monks in the monasteries.
- Enjoy the soft touch of the snowflakes when it snows.
- Read the witty, funny road signs put up by the B.R.O.
- Enjoy the stillness and quietness of the lake sides.
With the unique agricultural produces predominating the region, Leh-Ladakh is famous for its own cuisine – the Ladakhi cuisine that includes numerous delicacies made prom local produce. These delicacies include Tukpa and Sku (which serve as the main food in the region), Khambir, Pava, Momo, Thenthuk, Tangtur, Chang along with uniquely prepared dishes of beans, beetroots, pumpkins, potatoes, etc with meat. The Ladakhi cuisine is super tasty and yet very healthy and low on spices.
- For those who like camping, Sarchu will provide the best option – will bounties of ice all over.
- The wetland regions of Ladakh offer a great opportunity for keen birdwatchers.
- Interested people may also find various species of fauna, especially mountain dogs, Ibex, mongooses, wild horses, etc. in the region. Watch them through the lenses of your camera and capture for the future.
- With Leh having some of the world’s highest motored roads, you can enjoy some motorbiking at high altitudes.
- Visitors can play polo and during the festivals, travelers can take part in archery competitions. River rafting opportunities are also provided.
- Whether you are visiting during the summers or in winters, don’t forget your woolens. You will definitely need a lot of them, at any time.
- Carry jackets, gloves, pullovers, mufflers, quality socks, heavy boots, etc for extra protection.
- Goggles to prevent the sun rays from hurting your eyes.
- If you are a photo enthusiast, be sure to carry the right equipment and lots of storage space. You sure will have loads to click.
- Basic toiletries and medical supplies that you may need any time.
- Carry a torch with you at all times.
- For campers, you will need to carry the needed equipment and gears.
How to reach?
For those traveling via road, the best option would be to take the Shimla-Leh road that stretches for 434 Kms and is motorable during June to November.Travelers can also take the Manali – Leh stretch that is accessible during July to October.
For the convenience of the travelers, J&K SRTC offers regular bus services – both ordinary and deluxe along the Srinagar – Leh route.
Leh has its own airport and flights fly in from either Delhi or Srinagar. The flights are operated by different service providers.
Shanti Stupa – a mark of the joint efforts of the Ladakhi
and Japanese Buddhists.
Leh Palace – built in 17th century, the palace was the abode of the Leh’s royal family.
Victory tower – commemorates the victory Ladakh over Balti Kashmir.
Monasteries or Gompas – Leh – Ladakh is home to numerous famous Buddhist monasteries, some of them being the Thiksey, Deskit, Spituk, Likir, Namgyal Tsemo, Basgo, Shey, etc.
Pangong Tso Lake – crystal, clear waters of the Lake make it a sight worthy remembering.
Tso Moriri Lake – time stops here. You can look on for ever and be mesmerized still.
Khardungla Pass – known to be the highest roads to be driven.
Rumbak Valley – known as the capital of Snow Leopards offers good opportunities for birdwatching, elusive snow leopard.
Magnetic hill – beat the gravity at this place.
Nubra Valley – explore a desert amidst the bounties of snow.
Zanskar River – a beautiful view that will be a memory forever. Best for trekkers.
Hotels In Leh - Ladakh
|1||The Grand Dragon Ladakh|
|2||The Zen Ladakh|
|4||Gomang-Boutique Hotel Ladakh|
|5||The Auspicious Hotel|
|6||Hotel Glacier View|
|10||The Hotel Himalaya|
|11||Hotel Mystique Meadows Camp|
|14||Hotel Royal Ladakh|
Travelfuntoosh Holiday Packages
Email us now even if you have just thought of planning a holiday and leave rest on us to give your imagination a shape and take it forward from there.